Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Update: The Job Situation

Thanks to everyone who has been so wonderfully supportive and willing to do whatever they can to help me in my current situation with my career. It meant a lot to me to know that so many people have my back. :-)

Not much has changed. I still can't take the exam, although I have been pushing with the National Board for Respiratory Care. I found out I am missing two classes (chemistry and physics) and if I took those classes that I could take the exam but I wouldn't be able to get my AS. I have already started looking into schools.

I have already come to terms with the fact that I will no longer be working at my hospital. It was a part of my identity for 5 years and so the transition will be tough. I have the option to rush into another job or to collect unemployment. I have decided to opt for unemployment for this moment as I go back to school. I think I would be filling up my plate too full to try and work and go to school with all three kidlets. If I go back to school at least I will be able to take the exam and get my RRT credential that I can take anywhere, and that includes being re-hired at my old job.

I have already put in an application for the kids to get Healthy Families insurance. I wish I could COBRA out my current benefits but it would be far too expensive. Stephen and I will just try not to get hurt or sick.

My only frustration with this whole thing was that I wasn't given more than a month's warning that I would lose my job, and when I did find out that I needed more time to go to school I was refused that time. It isn't ethical. I did consider hiring a lawyer but that can be a two way street. I may win, but even if I do I will be permanently marked as "The RT That Sues" and I don't think it would be worth it.

Thanks to everyone who has been so sweet to me. It's been a pretty emotional time, especially since it was going on during the holidays.

Gotta goes nothing!